Website Soros Fund Management
Soros Fund Management LLC (SFM) is a family office with approximately $28 billion in net assets under management. The majority of the assets are managed on behalf of the Open Society Foundations (OSF), which was founded by George Soros and is one of the largest charitable foundations in the world. OSF supports civil society groups across the world and promotes justice, human rights, democracy, education, public health, and independent media. SFM has approximately 200 employees and is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Dublin, and Hong Kong. The majority of the assets are managed internally, and SFM can invest globally in a wide range of investment strategies and asset classes, including equities, credit, fixed income, macro, and private equity.
SFM is looking for a high caliber Junior intern to support our Operations, Treasury and Fund Controllers teams. This summer internship will last approximately nine (9) weeks, commencing at the beginning to middle of June 2024, and concluding mid-August 2024. The intern will spend several weeks with each team assisting in their day-to-day functions while receiving a hands-on experience learning about financial products and processes, the ecosystem of a hedge fund, and the roles of the various stakeholders in financial markets. In addition to collaborating with these teams, the intern will interact with front-office portfolio management and trade execution teams, as well as our trading counterparts, financing providers, and back-office administrator. The candidate will be exposed to a wide range of functional areas encompassing trade capture, financing optimization, cash management, settlements, reconciliations, PNL and NAV computing. Additionally, intern will participate in a variety of networking and learning opportunities with other interns, including Roundtable sessions with senior leaders at the firm, discussion panels with individuals at firms across the industry, and the ability to participate in internal and external networking events.
Reports To: The Heads of Operations, Treasury & Controllers
Key Relationships: SFM Portfolio Managers
Prime Brokers & Custodians
Legal and Tax
- Assist with Trade Booking, Review, and Affirmations as well as Failing trades
- Investigate and resolve position & cash breaks with Prime Brokers and Fund Administrator
- Assist with daily FX hedging, repo, securities lending, and margin/collateral processes
- Assist with monthly PNL and NAV reconciliation and closing
- Interest in Finance, Markets, and Technology
- Experience with problem solving or process improvement is helpful
- Knowledge of Excel a plus (pivot tables and V-look ups etc.)
The candidate must have excellent communication skills and have the ability to communicate directly with senior investment professionals across the firm as well as with the firm’s trading counterparties and third-party fund administrator. A natural inclination and ability to keep superiors, colleagues, and appropriate external constituents well informed is key.
This person should seek out opportunities to work with others on projects and leverage the team or external counterparts to address relevant issues. This person must be comfortable soliciting the opinions of others and modifying his/her outcome based on information gathered from multiple sources.
- Personal Effectiveness
- Intelligent, analytical and demanding with high standards of integrity.
- Ability to change, adapt, and grow.
- Challenges assumptions regularly.
- Handles day-to-day challenges confidently.
- Multitasks well and is able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change.
- Strong ability to focus on tasks at hand and complete deliverables on time.
- Takes responsibility and ownership for individual tasks, as well as team objectives.
- High level of energy, personal motivation, and attention to detail.
- Personal desire to achieve challenging objectives and compete against defined standards of excellence.
- Positive, driven, enthusiastic, and ambitious to learn the business.
- Expresses pride in work and shows resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations, or adversity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Able to relate well with other highly motivated professionals and earn their respect.
Anticipated Hourly Pay Range
We anticipate the hourly pay for this internship will be in the range of $30 – $40 per hour
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.