Website Van Eck Associates Corporation
Position: Operational Risk Summer Intern
Legal Entity: Van Eck Associates Corporation
Business Unit(s): Risk Management
Location: New York, NY
Department: Operational Risk
Reporting to: Director of Operational Risk
FLSA Status (US Staff only): Non-Exempt Full Time Summer
VanEck is a privately held global asset management firm founded in 1955. We develop forwardlooking, intelligently designed, active and ETF strategies that strengthen long-term portfolios. We will provide qualified individuals with outstanding education and growth opportunities. If you are a high-energy individual with a strong work ethic, excellent team skills, and outstanding communication skills, we would like to speak with you.
VanEck’s Summer Intern Program includes exposure across the firm through educational, mentorship, and networking events. As an Intern, you will also be exposed to the firm’s senior management, gain an understanding of the financial services industry and learn critical business skills. Our internship program will build more than just your resume — it will challenge your knowledge, build your network and drive your career path. Our program spans 10 weeks and typically runs from June 3 – August 9.
An intern position is made available to help students nearing graduation acquire basic office skills and develop their experience in working within a corporate environment. Interns will learn to effectively interact with staff, clients and management as well as how to execute administrative tasks. The operational risk position has high visibility across the whole company. The operational risk intern will have the opportunity to have discussions with all departments to gain an understanding of how they operate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Includes the following, other duties may be assigned as needed:
• Learn the fundamentals of operational and vendor risk management.
• Gain insight into risk management processes by understanding what business processes and controls are and participating in control reviews/process walkthroughs.
• Assist in the completion of the periodic review of the risk and control self-assessment for the various departments.
• Support vendor risk management by performing inherent and residual risk reviews through due diligence documentation.
• Perform policies and procedures reviews and work with the business owners to update them as necessary.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
• Successful candidates must be pursuing a BA/BS in Management Accounting, Business, Finance and Information Technology
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to understand and carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
• A working knowledge of Internet, MS Word and Excel is required. Basic understanding of databases, computer programming and system designs is desirable but not required.
• Excellent writing and communication skills. Must be able to document work performed and findings in a clear and succinct manner.
• Must be willing to learn, take initiative and be results driven.
Education and/or Experience
• Currently entering junior level (3rd year) or beyond within a 4 year college program.
• Some experience within a corporate environment is helpful but not required.
• General understanding of the Internal Audit function and its value add to the organization
To perform successfully and gain the most from this internship, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Professional demeanor • Willingness to learn and adapt to a corporate environment
• Motivation and performance driven
• Demonstrate great attention to details
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group settings
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• The maximum hourly rate for this position is $25 an hour.
VanEck is committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and to providing equal opportunity in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws. VanEck does not and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, ancestry, color, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, covered-veteran or military status, genetic information, and/or any other factor protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.