ACTING DIRECTOR OF HUNTER COLLEGE CAMPUS SCHOOLS
“In the after school sessions (held on campus), the students were absolutely enraptured by the mentors who came and spoke with them each week. I found it both engaging and fascinating in listening to the students talk amongst themselves. The fact that they were talking about finance was spectacular!
As we rode the subway down today to visit our field trip location to Nasdaq, the students were saying this is the first time they could really talk about money and financial planning. It was too hard and embarrassing to talk about with their parents, so this is the first time they had the opportunity. It was an amazing moment.
Budgeting and finance discussions, and really taking ownership of personal finance, isn’t something that is included in the standard high school curriculum and to do so in the company of other young women with female mentors, it’s an extraordinary opportunity. It will serve them all their lives.”
– Lisa Siegmann, Acting Director, Hunter College Campus Schools, NY
We needed two field trip sites!
The women who made a difference in these girls’ lives on this day included:
- Alice Wang, Managing Director, Global Head of CIB Operational Risk, JPMorgan
- Jill Malandrino, Global Markets Reporter, Nasdaq
- Farah Sodhi, AVP, Business Unit CFO, Nasdaq
- Yulia Oleynik, CTP, Treasury Specialist, Nasdaq
- Yordanka llieva, Senior Strategic Investment Associate, Nasdaq Ventures
- Angela Matheny, Head of Diverse Manager Equity, Colonial Consulting
FIDUCIARY TRUST INTERNATIONAL
Further uptown, our second set of students were hosted by Fiduciary Trust International at their Park Avenue offices. Here, the girls heard about the benefits of being a financially independent woman, capital raising, portfolio management, business management and how to navigate internship opportunities.
Our career sherpas at this field trip site included:
- Kristin Mott, Managing Director, Seamax Capital Management
- May Tong, Portfolio Manager, Franklin Templeton Investments
- Mandy McClung, Vice President, Associate Complex Manager, Morgan Stanley
- Charlotte Beyer, Founder, Institute for Private Investors
- Stephanie Weiss, Client Advisor, Bernstein Global Wealth Management
- Charmaine Chin, Managing Director, K2 Advisors, Franklin Templeton Investments
- Amanda Vardi, Vice President, Relationship Manager at Fiduciary Trust Company International
- Meredith Johnson, Estate Settlement Associate, Franklin Trust Company
Principal Quest Foundation (PQF)
- Do I dare?
- Where does money figure in my values?
- How closely aligned are my values to my behavior?
Thanks Principle Quest Foundation!
Our students have started an unofficial PQF fan club.
Thanks, too, to the CFP Board, Abacus Planning Group, Douglass Winthrop Advisors, Wealthstream Advisors, Morgan Stanley and March Altus Capital Management whose female financial professionals gave so generously of their time and talent this past semester in the Hunter College High School classrooms to teach our students the importance of owning their financial lives!